The Ocean and Coastal Studies Building, opened in July 2011, provides TAMUG students and researchers essential facilities for learning and scientific advancement. The building was designed to replace the 1930's era Fort Crockett building and bring all of TAMUG to a single campus allowing for greater interdisciplinary collaboration. The building is situated next to TAMUG's small boat basin allowing students and researchers ready access to research vessels. The building houses several premier laboratories and the University's Marine Biology and Marine Sciences departments. The Ocean and Coastal Studies Building has eared acclaim for its energy efficiency and environmental impact, including receiving a GOLD rating from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) branch of the U.S. Green Building Council.