About the Waterfront
Support the Waterfront
WAVE Living Learning Community
For more information on the R/V Trident contact:
Vessel Operations Office
Texas A&M University at Galveston
200 Seawolf Parkway
Galveston, TX 77553
P.O. Box 1675
Galveston, TX 77553
In March of 2014 Texas A&M University at Galveston signed a contract with GEO Shipyards in New Iberia, LA for the construction of a Research, Academic and Training vessel. This $2.3 million dollar asset will bring much needed functionality to the Waterfront Fleet. This "Swiss Army Knife" of vessel will allow us to travel up to 200 nautical miles from shore in a variety of mission configurations.
The vessel is 70 feet long, has a draft of 4 feet, and a cruising speed of 17 knots and is equipped with standard sampling gear. The R/V Trident has berthing for 12 crew and scientists, and can operate 24 hours per day for up to 5 days in between port calls. She has a large working deck (400 sq. ft.), a 240 sq. ft. lab.
R/V Trident Voyage Planning
The following Planning Manual and forms are used for trips past the end of the Galveston Jetties and/or greater than 10hrs in duration
R/V Trident Construction Milestones
R/V Trident Plans
R/V Trident Specifications
Length (LOA) - 64'9"
Length (@ W/L) - 62’8”
Hull Breath (molded) - 21'6"
Dimi Hull Breath - 6’5”
Hull Depth (deck to keel) - 9'3"
Wing Clearance @ bow - 4’8”
Minimum Wing clearance - 3’9”
Designed draft - 4'3"
Designed freeboard - 5'0"
Head clearance main deck - 6'9"
Plate to plate height main to 2nd deck - 7’6”
Capacity (overnight) - 12
Passengers - 48, Near Coastal 20 miles
Passengers & Crew - 12 and 200 mile limit
Fuel capacity, total - 2444 U.S. gallons
Potable water capacity - 650 U.S. gallons
Black water holding - 50gal with MSD
Water tight compartments, ea. side - 5
Designed cruise speed - 17 Knots
Route - Exposed Waters (200 miles from Harbor of safe refuge)
Swim platforms and ladders - Hinged, fold up against transom
Arch type mast platform - Across top of Pilot House
- Aluminum A Frame 3000# towing pull, specification, 12’ high w/ (2) hydraulic cylinders mounted to aft deck at stern, dedicated hydraulic power pack for cylinders w/ ladder rungs & flood light
- Swing Davit Arm to reach over the side built of Aluminum w/ 12 volt winch.
- Hydro Pro 2 ton Knuckle Boom Crane, max reach 22.5’ (1) w/ Hydraulic Power Unit dedicated for Knuckle boom crane mounted in next to crane on upper deck
- Tie down system, aft deck threaded socket type
- 13’ Carib Rigid Inflatable Boat (RIB) w/ 20 HP electric start w/ tiller steering handle Suzuki outboard motor w/ SS prop mounted on cradle on upper deck (1)
- Side mount (mid ships) for survey equipment
-DT Marine Products, Model DT303EM winch