The Hazlewood Exemption is for qualified veterans, children of veterans, and dependents of certain disabled or deceased veterans and exempts students from paying tuition and required fees (not including Student Services Fee, field trip fees, or deposits).
Eligibility requirements include:
Texas resident at military entrance with:
- Texas as "home of record" OR
- Texas as "point of entry"
- Current Texas residency
- Honorable discharge
- More than 180 days of active duty (net active service)
- Have no federal veteran's education benefits OR have federal veterans education benefits dedicated to the payment of tuition and fees only that do not exceed the value of Hazlewood benefits
- Are not in default on a student loan made or guaranteed by the state of Texas
- Complete the appropriate application form(s):
- Hazlewood Exemption Application Packet For Veterans (HE-V)
- Hazlewood Exemption Application Packet for Eligible Children and Spouse of Texas Veterans (HE-D)
- Please visit http://www.collegeforalltexans.com to download these forms
- Provide veteran's VA DD Form 214 (member 4 copy)
- Provide proof of dependent relationship (birth certificate, adoption certificate, marriage certificate, tax returns)
- Provide Certificate of Eligibility letter from VA (please complete VONAPP, in order to receive this letter in the mail from VA)
Documents may be accepted during registration of classes for the succeeding term.
Eligible Children who received the Hazlewood Exemption for the first time beginning Fall 2011 must be 25 year of age or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed (unless granted an extension due to the qualifying illness or debilitating condition).
Effective with tuition and fee charges Fall 2011 a veterans spouse or child’s guardian, conservator, custodian, or other legally designated caretaker may re-assign unused hours to an eligible child (through Legacy) on behalf of the veteran if the veteran dies prior to the requesting the transfer of hours.
Students using Hazlewood Exemption MUST meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements, as defined by the Office of Financial Aid. SAP is checked at the completion of each semester for all students. Hazlewood Exemption benefits will not be posted for Legacy Act students until the previous semester's SAP is verified. For more information, please refer to https://financialaid.tamu.edu/eligibility/SAP.aspx.
For more information about the Hazlewood Exemption please refer to http://www.collegeforalltexans.com.