Photos of Events
The anchor serves as a memorial to the USTS TEXAS CLIPPER. She served Texas A&M University at Galveston for 32 years, traveling over a quarter of a million miles visiting 49 foreign ports.
Launched on September 12, 1944, at Sparrows Point, Maryland, she served as an attack troop transport in World War II as USS QUEENS. She then sailed for American Export Lines as one of the “Four Aces” under the name EXCAMBION.
In 1965 she arrived at Galveston as the University’s first training ship. Having trained thousands of cadets, USTS TEXAS CLIPPER will sail in our hearts forever.
Students can often be seen rubbing the anchor for good luck before exams. Seniors are the only students permitted to walk between the anchor and the anchor chain.