Applying for Housing
Prospective & New Students
Living Learning Communities
Off Campus Housing
Housing Deposit Refund Policy
For Returning students, if a student applies for and receives permission to live off-campus, the housing contract must be terminated in-person or in writing to Residence Life (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before the following dates to be entitled to the deposit refund as listed below:
- April 1: 100% refund
- April 2-April 15: 75% refund
- April 16-May 1: 50% refund
- May 2-May 15: 25% refund
Any request to termininate the on-campus housing contract, even if permission to live off-campus is granted, received after May 15 will NOT receive a refund.
Resources for Students Living Off-Campus
Several apartment complexes and realtors have offered to be listed with TAMUG indicating their willingness to work with our students. We have provided some basic information about these complexes and realtors here.
As a reminder, all students should apply for permission to live off-campus AND get an approval to live off-campus BEFORE signing any lease or contract for off-campus living. The University Apartments are considered off-campus living and are not affiliated with or managed by Texas A&M University at Galveston.
Student Housing Requirements
Per University Student Rules, all students are required to live in on-campus housing, as space is available. Exceptions may be made in some circumstances (listed below). Any student hoping to live off-campus is required to apply for permission to live off-campus.
*Please note, as of Summer 2012, this rule does not apply to most students taking Summer session courses. We recomend those who choose to live in off-campus apartments sign short-term leases or sub-let, understanding the on-campus housing rule does still apply for the Fall and Spring terms despite the students' Summer living arrangement. On-campus housing is available for students who would like the option. Those enrolling in the Summer II SAIL program may be required to live in on-campus housing as a condition of their academic program.
Permission to live off-campus is typically considered if one of the following circumstances are met:
- The student is married and living with their spouse in the local Galveston area.
- The student is a single parent/guardian and their child resides with them at their local Galveston area residence.
- The student is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces (copy of DD-214; not active duty for training only).
- The student will live with a parent/guardian in the Galveston area. (A typed verification letter will be required)
- The student will enroll in 9 credit hours or less for the semester.
- The student has a medical exception. (Documentation from a doctor will be required.)
- The student is 21 years of age or older (on the first day of class for the semester permission is requested).
- The student wishes to apply for special consideration (a typed letter explaining circumstances is required).
Additionally, students in the Corps of Cadets program (including NROTC, USMS License Option, and Drill and Ceremonies) may be considered for permission to live off-campus if one of the following circumstances are met:
- The cadet is married and living with their spouse in the local Galveston area.
- The cadet is a single parent/guardian and their child resides with them at their local Galveston area residence.
- The cadet is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces (copy of DD-214; not active duty for training only).
- The cadet has successfully completed the residency component of the Texas Maritime Academy/NROTC program (and has a signed certification of completion).
- The cadet is in the Victor Company. (Victor Company cadets DO NOT live on-campus, and must apply for special permissions to live on-campus.)
To apply for permission to live off-campus, the request form must be submitted to the Office of Residence Life.
An application to live off campus is required to be completed by ALL students who wish to live off-campus to make sure a student is not billed inappropriately. For returning students, this form is due before April 1 (*note the policy regarding deposit refunds) of the Spring term to be considered for the following Fall semester. All students sign a contract with TAMUG agreeing to live in on-campus housing for both the Fall and Spring semesters. Typically, a request for permission to live off-campus for the Spring term (when the student lived on-campus for the Fall term) will NOT be honored.
Also note that the University Apartments are the closest apartments to campus, however, this complex is NOT owned or managed by Texas A&M University at Galveston. They are independently owned and managed and considered Off-Campus.
This form MUST be completed in order for a student to be considered for permission to live off-campus. TAMUG strongly recommends a student (or their family) NOT sign any off-campus lease, or commit themselves to an off-campus living arrangement until the student receives written approval from Residence Life to live off-campus.