Checking In/Out Procedures
Residence Life Office personnel must officially check you into your room when you enter housing (or are authorized to change rooms) and officially check you out of your room when you leave housing (or are authorized to change rooms). You will sign a housing contract, fill out an "in case of emergency" form, and receive a "Room Condition Report" or "RCR" to check the inventory and condition of your room and bathroom. Residents will be held accountable for any new damage or missing furniture. Failure to officially check in/out of a room will result in an “Improper Check-In/Out” charge.
2013-2014 Check-in/out Dates
Fall 2013 - Winter Break Check-Out Dates
Fall Winter Break Check-Out is 24-hours after the student's last final OR by NOON on Thursday, December 12, 2013 (whichever comes FIRST).
December graduating students will have until Noon, Sunday December 15, 2013 to complete their check-out.
Students who will NOT return to the SAME room on-campus for Spring 2014 MUST complete a full check-out with their Community Leader prior to leaving. This may include moving rooms prior to leaving for the break, and will MINIMALLY include packing up all belongings in preparation for an immediate move as soon as the student returns for the Spring semester. Students not returning to TAMUG for the Spring semester will complete a check-out.
Students who WILL return to the SAME room in Spring 2014 may simply leave campus once they have completed the check out procedures indicated on your Winter Break Check Out list.
Students who leave their belongings in their room over the break will NOT have access to their room over the Winter break.
Spring 2014 - Check-In Date
All students may move in beginning at 12PM on Friday, January 10, 2014.
ALL students are required to check-in with Residence Life regardless of if they are returning to the same room as Fall semester or not. A student's ID/key will NOT work over the break and will NOT work until the student checks in with Residence Life.
Spring 2014 - Summer Break Check-Out Dates
Check-out is 24-hours after the student's last final OR by NOON on Thursday, May 8, 2014 (whichever comes FIRST).
May graduating students will have until Noon, Sunday May 11, 2014 to complete their check-out.
ALL students MUST check-out by these designated times.
Check In ProceduresYou must come to the Residence Life Office to check into your assigned room. For Fall, Spring and Summer terms, specific days are designated as check-in days. Students may not check-in to their room prior to this designated day without written permission from the Assistant Director for Residence Life.
1) Room Condition Report - This is due within two days of check-in. Check each item listed and note any damages. Be sure to check your room carefully; you will be charged for any damage found at check-out that has not been noted. Verify the inventory number on each piece of furniture according to the Report. Be sure to note any damage to the furniture. You are responsible for the furniture and the condition of the furniture noted on your inventory sheet. Any missing, broken, damaged, stacked or extra furniture will be charged. You must sign this Report and return it to Residence Life within two days of check-in. Please note that damages or missing furniture not also noted in a "work order" may not be addressed immediately.
2) It is important to take your time and do a thorough check-in. A good check-in results in a good check-out and alleviates charges for damages that were not there when you entered the room. Remember that you will be charged for damages not noted at check-in but found at check-out time.
Due to the lack of storage, we are unable to remove any University furniture from the residence hall rooms. Students ARE NOT allowed to remove University assigned furniture from their rooms; doing so can result in charges to the resident
Before leaving the residence halls for Summer break (or at any point when a student moves out of their assigned room), there are a few things students are required to do. Failure to follow these instructions may result in a fine of $50 or more for an improper check-out.
At the end of the Spring semester, students are provied a "Residence Hall Check-Out Check List", this form should be left taped to the outside of their door (or in the window if Mariner) when they leave the room for the last time.
1) Schedule a check-out appointment time with the floor Community Leader. If they are unavailable when you plan to leave, talk with them about scheduling a time with another Community Leader. Failure to schedule your check-out time will result in an improper check-out fine.
*All residents MUST check-out within 24-hours of their last final exam OR before 12 NOON on Thursday, whichever comes first. (Graduating seniors and those officially participating in graduation ceremonies, check-out is by Sunday. Non-graduating/commissioning cadets MUST submit written approval from the Colonel to Residence Life prior to finals week to stay past Thursday)
2) Remove all personal items from your room prior to your scheduled check-out time. This includes all posters, wall coverings, clothing, appliances, and pillows.
3) Return all furniture to its original condition. Beds should be de-lofted and lowered to the mid-level of the bed-ends. Two spare bed-ends per bed should be stacked under each bed (except Albatross and Polaris where furniture should be returend to the same or better condition as move-in).
4) Completely clean the room, including the removal of all trash from all spaces you are responsible for (room, balcony, bathroom). Remember to sweep, dust, and wipe down windows and walls.
5) At your scheduled check-out time, review your Room Condition Report with your Community Leader.
6) Sign your check-out check list and leave it on the door or in the window (Mariner hall). You will not be allowed back into the room once you have completed your check-out.
7) Albatross and Polaris residents MUST return their issued key to their Community Leader or the Office of Residence Life. Missing or non-returned keys will result in a $75 lock change fee.
Express Check-Out Option
Students may decide to sign-up for an Express Check-Out option. BOTH roommates must sign up for this if it is the desired option. Students who choose Express Check-Out must complete all the spects above, except they do not have to have a check-out meeting with their Community Leader. Instead, the residents waive their right to be present when Residence Life check the room for damages, etc. and may depart as soon as they are ready to leave. You MUST sign up for this option in the Office of Residence Life.
Anyone who wishes to check out later than the required final check-out time must receive approval from the Office of Residence Life. Please report to the office no later than one week prior to the posted check-out date to complete the required application and request approval to stay late. ALL students approved for late check-outs will be charged a per day rate based on the building the reside in.
Review the Check-Out Presentation
Review the Check-Out Process and the Check List