Bookstore (Revised 2010)
1. When should a student purchase his/her textbooks?
A student should purchase his/her textbooks as soon as he/she is registered. Once registered a student may:
2. Do they need their receipt for books if they change classes?
A receipt is required at the beginning of each term for a return or exchange of textbooks and these returns must be done in accordance with the Bookstore return procedures. All returns must be completed within the prescribed time periods advertised at the Bookstore at the beginning of each semester. Receipts are not needed during buy back at the end of each semester.
3. I was told that some professors require books that students don't need. Can we return these textbooks?
A student may return a textbook for any reason as long as the return is accompanied with a receipt, completed in accordance with the Bookstore's return procedures and returned within the prescribed time periods advertised at the Bookstore at the beginning of each semester.
4. What is the estimated cost of textbooks?
The cost of textbooks varies by the number of hours a student is enrolled in and the types of classes. For information purposes, first semester freshman can expect to pay $750-850 for their books. In the second semester that amount can drop due to the fact that some first semester books will be used for the second semester. Second semester books may run $350-450.
5. Are gift cards available from the bookstore?
6. Can financial aid be used to pay for textbooks?
A student may use financial aid to purchase textbooks as long as the Bookstore receives authorization from TAMUG Financial Aid that the student's financial aid funds are available for the purchase.
7. Can a student wait to purchase his/her textbooks on the first class day?
A student may purchase textbooks on the first class day. However, waiting until the first class day could result in fewer used books being available and, therefore, the student will pay a higher price for new books.
8. What forms of payment are accepted by the Bookstore?
The Bookstore accepts cash, check and all major credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express).