Frequently Asked Questions
- How do we go about accessing the Credit Union or local banks for out of
- Is there any type of limo service to get to the airport for out of town
- How do you get a boat pass for my son? And is there a fee for that?
- Are there opportunities for students to work either on campus or off
- Are all students allowed to use the P.E. facility?
- Regarding bus transportation, what is available for students on campus to
go to town? What if my student needs to get to the bank, etc.
- Do you have a choir for students?
- Are there intramural sports available?
- Do they have any organized transportation to go to College Station during
the football season?
- Do evening classes impact a student's
ability to participate in extracurricular activities?
- If a student purchased a meal plan, and
feels more meals are required, can the meal plan be changed, whether an
increase or decrease?
- You talked about bonus meals on their meal plan, how many are you talking
- What are the hours of the cafeteria?
- If they go to College Station, can they use their meal plan there?
- If I am a visiting parent, can I eat in the
- Which meal plan is the most commonly selected
- Who can use the guest meals?
- Can a student eat any combination of meals
using the any 5 or any 10 meal plan?
- Can the meal plan be used in the Galley?
- Does Dining Services offer an alternative for students on a meal plan that
may be off campus for the day, a class assignment, field trip, etc.?
- Can Dining Services accommodate special requirements for diets, allergies,
- Can a student with a special dietary need be exempted from the requirement
to purchase a meal plan?
- How often have we evacuated the campus due to a storm or hurricane?
- What is the evacuation route in the event of a storm and if it is blocked
off, what other route can they take?
- If they evacuate, do we ask the students to pack their belongings or is
there something we provide for storage?
- What type of internal communication
is used to get the word out to the campus community?
- Regarding security what about the patio doors, are they secure enough?
- Are the Pelican Island Private Apartments
monitored by the Campus Police and do they have Resident Advisors?
- What if my
student loses their parking permit?
- What should a
student do if he/she receives a campus ticket?
- Can the students call
the police for other things besides security matters?
Computing and Information Services
- Are we set up for wireless connection on campus?
- Do you recommend a laptop over a desktop?
- What type of computer would be recommended?
- Which operating system do we need to get for the Ethernet?
- If they are going to be in the Pelican Island apartments, will they have
- If a student has programs already on their computer, do they still have
to purchase the license package that the university offers?
- If you have a Macintosh and have an Ethernet, can they be used here?
- Are owners of Macintosh computers able to get the same discounted
- If a student is living at home and currently has a cable modem, will
he/she be able to access the internet and e-mail?
- Is Microsoft Office required software?
- Student Software License for Microsoft
- Student Email
accounts at TAMUG (Galveston) and TAMU ( College Station Mandatory account
for online billing)
- When should a student purchase his/her
Do they need their receipt for books if they change classes?
was told that some professors require books that students don't need. Can we
return these textbooks?
is the estimated cost of textbooks?
gift cards available from the bookstore?
Can financial aid be used to pay for textbooks?
Can a student wait to purchase his/her textbooks on the first class day?
What forms of payment are accepted by the Bookstore?
- If your student is taking allergy shots, do they have to contact UTMB on
their own to make arrangements?
- If a family has medical insurance, do we still have to pay the $36.00 for
the health service?
- What is the name of the hospital in this area?
- What does a student need to bring to the clinic to be seen by a doctor?
- Is there a nurse advice line for students
to call when they are unsure of whether they need to go to the clinic?
- Regarding discipline and punishment, will my student be sent directly to
campus police or is there a conduct board to report to?
- If there's a misunderstanding with the local police, is there someone in
campus police that can help the student and family negotiate issues?
- Are "minor in possessions" pretty frequent on campus?
a student face both criminal and University consequences for the same
Registration, Tutoring and
- What is the charge if I
pay my tuition with a credit card?
- When will the student register and when will they get their bill?
- Is there any kind of progress report that the parent gets from the school
prior to the semester ending?
- Is tutoring available on campus?
- Regarding academic advising, how much power does the student have to
choose their own classes?
- Does the Library have the resources for
students to complete their research for the core classes, not just the
- Does the university provide
Direct Deposit for refund checks?
- Can payments be made using the debit card
feature of a bank check card?