Marine Sciences Department

Marine Sciences Department

Students in the Marine Sciences department concentrate on the physical, chemical, and geological sciences aspects of the marine, estuarine, and coastal environment. The coastal location of the campus provides the students with the unique opportunity to acquire extensive hands-on field experience in addition to a solid base of academic instruction in chemistry, geology, physics, biology, and mathematics. Electives in the junior and senior year allow the student to obtain a broader background in ocean studies or to specialize, usually in the areas of environmental science, geology, or chemistry or to prepare for admission to graduate school or professional positions in industry or government. Students may choose to pursue a minor in geology or chemistry.

A survey of our graduates since 2000 found that approximately 36% of our students end up pursuing a graduate degree. Of those pursuing graduate degrees, approximately 1/3 are in resource management, 1/3 are in geological oceanography, and the remaining 1/3 in various other fields ranging from chemical and physical oceanography to education and medical school. Those students who opt for a professional career after graduation are finding an extremely favorable job market, with many students having multiple job offers upon graduation, with starting salaries typically ranging from $40,000-75,000/year. Of those students who opt for a professional career, over 60% end up in the offshore petroleum exploration and production industry. Of the remaining 40%, approximately 10% end up in resource management positions, with lesser percentages in education, environmental education, environmental monitoring, and non-marine related fields.

Follow Us On: FacebookTwitteryoutube button