So far, Professor Balaban has authored or edited 17 books and has published 72 book chapters and 775 papers in peer-reviewed journals. From the last ones, 52 were in Tetrahedron and 31 in Tetrahedron Letters.
The following 25 publications have been selected; all are available as electronic reprints.
1. A. T. Balaban, J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci. 1995, 35, 339-350: Chemical graphs: looking back and a glimpse ahead.
2. A. T. Balaban, MATCH, Commun. Math. Comput. Chem. 2011, 66, 7-32: Autobiographical notes: 80 years of age, 68 years of chemistry.
3. A. T. Balaban, Rev. Roum. Chim. 2012, 57, 535-557 Brief review of contributions to organic chemistry.
4. A. T. Balaban, V. E. Sahini and E. Keplinger, Tetrahedron, 1960, 9,163-174 : Electronic absorption spectra of alkyl- and phenyl-substituted pyrylium salts.
5. A. T. Balaban, G. D. Mateescu and M. Elian, Tetrahedron, 1962, 18, 1083-1094: Infra-red absorption spectra of pyrylium salts.
6. A. T. Balaban, Balaban-Nenitzescu-Praill Reaction, In: Name Reactions in Heterocyclic Chemistry II (J. J. Li, ed.) with a foreword by E. J. Corey. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2011, pp. 402-419.
7. A. T. Balaban and Z. Simon, Tetrahedron, 1962, 18, 315-321: Aromaticity constants.
8. A. T. Balaban, Pure Appl. Chem., 1980, 52, 1409-1429: Is aromaticity outmoded?
9. A. T. Balaban, D. C. Oniciu, and A.R.Katritzky, Chem. Rev. 2004, 104, 2777-2812: Aromaticity as a cornerstone in heterocyclic chemistry.
Stable nitrogen free radicals
10. A. T. Balaban, P. T. Frangopol, M. Frangopol and N. Negoita, Tetrahedron, 1967, 23, 4661-4676: Stability and equilibria of free radicals. III. Preparation of stable, sterically shielded, diarylnitrogen radicals with donor and acceptor aryl groups in the same molecule.
11. V. I. Minkin, L. P. Olekhnovich, V .P. Metlushenko, N. G. Furmanova, I. Bally and A. T. Balaban, Tetrahedron, 1981, 37, Suppl. 1, 421-427: Molecular structure and tautomerism of the 1,3,2-benzodioxaarsole ether of tropolone.
12. A. T. Balaban, M. D. Gheorghiu, A. Schiketanz, and A. Necula, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1989, 111, 734-735: Catalytic automerization of phenanthrene.
13. P. T. Frangopol, A. T. Balaban, L. Birladeanu and E. Cioranescu, Tetrahedron, 1961, 16, 59-67: Synthesis of 2,5-diaryloxazoles through Friedel-Crafts reaction of azlactones with aromatic hydrocarbons.
Boron chelates and dioxaborinium salts
14. A. Arsene, A. T. Balaban, I. Bally, A. Barabas, M. Paraschiv and C. N. Rentea, Spectrochimica Acta, 1967, 23A, 1373-1383: Electronic absorption spectra of spiroborates and of 1,3,2-dioxaborinium salts.
16. E. Cioranescu, L. Birladeanu, A. T. Balaban and C. D. Nenitzescu, Tetrahedron Lett., 1962, 3, 349-351: Influence of water in the AlCl3-catalyzed reaction of unsaturated azlactones with aromatics.
Chemical graphs, benzenoids, diamondoids.
18. A. T. Balaban and P. von R. Schleyer, Tetrahedron, 1978, 34, 3599-3609: Systematic classification and nomenclature of diamond hydrocarbons. 1. Graph-teoretical enumeration of polymantanes.
19. A. T. Balaban, J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci., 1985, 25, 334-343: Applications of graph theory in chemistry.
20. A. T. Balaban and M. Randić, Internat. J. Quantum Chem. 2008, 108, 898-926: Ring signatures for benzenoids with up to seven rings. Part 2. Pericondensed systems. Erratum, ibid. 2011, 111, 3252-3253.
21. A. T. Balaban and D. J. Klein, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2009, 113, 19123-19133: Claromatic carbon nano-structures.
22. A. T. Balaban, J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2012, 52, 2856-2869. Partitioned-formula tables for diamond hydrocarbons (diamondoids).
Topological indices as molecular descriptors
23. A. T. Balaban, Chem. Phys. Lett., 1982, 89, 399-404: Highly discriminating distance-based topological index.
24. A.T. Balaban, Pure Appl. Chem., 1983, 55, 199-206: Topological indices based on topological distances in molecular graphs.
25. A. T. Balaban, D. J. Klein, J. E. Dahl, and R. M. K. Carlson, The Open Org. Chem. J., 2007, 1, 13-31: Molecular descriptors for natural diamondoid hydrocarbons and quantitative structure-property relationships for their chromatographic data.