Focused bibliography for Dr. Alexandru Balaban
So far, Professor Balaban has authored or edited 17 books and has published 72 book chapters and 775
papers in peer-reviewed journals. From the last ones, 52 were in Tetrahedron and 31 in Tetrahedron
The following 25 publications have been selected; all are available as electronic reprints.
1. A. T. Balaban, J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci. 1995, 35, 339-350: Chemical graphs: looking back and a
2. A. T. Balaban, MATCH, Commun. Math. Comput. Chem. 2011, 66, 7-32: Autobiographical notes: 80
years of age, 68 years of chemistry.
3. A. T. Balaban, Rev. Roum. Chim. 2012, 57, 535-557 Brief review of contributions to organic
4. A. T. Balaban, V. E. Sahini and E. Keplinger, Tetrahedron, 1960, 9,163-174 : Electronic absorption
spectra of alkyl- and phenyl-substituted pyrylium salts.
5. A. T. Balaban, G. D. Mateescu and M. Elian, Tetrahedron, 1962, 18, 1083-1094: Infra-red absorption
spectra of pyrylium salts.
6. A. T. Balaban, Balaban-Nenitzescu-Praill Reaction, In: Name Reactions in Heterocyclic Chemistry II
(J. J. Li, ed.) with a foreword by E. J. Corey. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2011, pp. 402-419.
7. A. T. Balaban and Z. Simon, Tetrahedron, 1962, 18, 315-321: Aromaticity constants.
8. A. T. Balaban, Pure Appl. Chem., 1980, 52, 1409-1429: Is aromaticity outmoded?
9. A. T. Balaban, D. C. Oniciu, and A.R.Katritzky, Chem. Rev. 2004, 104, 2777-2812: Aromaticity as a
cornerstone in heterocyclic chemistry.
Stable nitrogen free radicals
10. A. T. Balaban, P. T. Frangopol, M. Frangopol and N. Negoita, Tetrahedron, 1967, 23, 4661-4676:
Stability and equilibria of free radicals. III. Preparation of stable, sterically shielded,
diarylnitrogen radicals with donor and acceptor aryl groups in the same molecule.
11. V. I. Minkin, L. P. Olekhnovich, V .P. Metlushenko, N. G. Furmanova, I. Bally and A. T. Balaban,
Tetrahedron, 1981, 37, Suppl. 1, 421-427: Molecular structure and tautomerism of the
1,3,2-benzodioxaarsole ether of tropolone.
12. A. T. Balaban, M. D. Gheorghiu, A. Schiketanz, and A. Necula, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1989, 111,
734-735: Catalytic automerization of phenanthrene.
13. P. T. Frangopol, A. T. Balaban, L. Birladeanu and E. Cioranescu, Tetrahedron, 1961, 16, 59-67:
Synthesis of 2,5-diaryloxazoles through Friedel-Crafts reaction of azlactones with aromatic
Boron chelates and dioxaborinium salts
14. A. Arsene, A. T. Balaban, I. Bally, A. Barabas, M. Paraschiv and C. N. Rentea, Spectrochimica Acta,
1967, 23A, 1373-1383: Electronic absorption spectra of spiroborates and of
16. E. Cioranescu, L. Birladeanu, A. T. Balaban and C. D. Nenitzescu, Tetrahedron Lett., 1962, 3,
349-351: Influence of water in the AlCl3-catalyzed reaction of unsaturated azlactones with
Chemical graphs, benzenoids, diamondoids.
18. A. T. Balaban and P. von R. Schleyer, Tetrahedron, 1978, 34, 3599-3609: Systematic classification
and nomenclature of diamond hydrocarbons. 1. Graph-teoretical enumeration of polymantanes.
19. A. T. Balaban, J. Chem. Inf. Comput. Sci., 1985, 25, 334-343: Applications of graph theory in
20. A. T. Balaban and M. Randić, Internat. J. Quantum Chem. 2008, 108, 898-926: Ring signatures for
benzenoids with up to seven rings. Part 2. Pericondensed systems. Erratum, ibid. 2011, 111,
21. A. T. Balaban and D. J. Klein, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2009, 113, 19123-19133: Claromatic carbon
22. A. T. Balaban, J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2012, 52, 2856-2869. Partitioned-formula tables for diamond
Topological indices as molecular descriptors
23. A. T. Balaban, Chem. Phys. Lett., 1982, 89, 399-404: Highly discriminating distance-based
24. A.T. Balaban, Pure Appl. Chem., 1983, 55, 199-206: Topological indices based on topological
distances in molecular graphs.
25. A. T. Balaban, D. J. Klein, J. E. Dahl, and R. M. K. Carlson, The Open Org. Chem. J., 2007, 1, 13-31:
Molecular descriptors for natural diamondoid hydrocarbons and quantitative structure-property
relationships for their chromatographic data.