Professor Vijay Panchang
Office: PMEC 231
Tel: (409) 740 - 4507
Fax: (409) 741 - 7153
Biography, Education, Honors
Professor Vijay Panchang, Ph.D., P.E., Regents Professor, joined TAMUG in 2002 after spending nearly 17 years at the University of Maine, where he held the rank of Professor in the Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering and in the School of Marine Sciences from 1998-2002. At the University of Maine, he received the College of Engineering's "Outstanding Faculty Researcher" Award, 1992. Dr. Panchang also served as Program Director for Coastal & Technology Transfer Programs at the National Sea Grant Office (NOAA, Department of Commerce) in Washington. For his administrative/research work, he received the "Research Partner" Commendation in September 2001 from NOAA’s Office of Oceanic & Atmospheric Research.
Professor Panchang’s expertise lies in the area of coastal hydraulics in general and mathematical modeling (computer simulations) of coastal ocean processes in particular. He has developed wave prediction models like CGWAVE and coastal circulation models which have found wide usage among government and consulting engineers. Typically, Dr. Panchang’s work is aimed at predicting wave and current conditions for applications such as port design, containment transport, etc. He has supervised several M.S. and Ph.D. students with whose assistance he has conducted over 4 million dollars of R&D activity sponsored by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Office of Naval Research, the Army Corps of Engineers, the National Aeronautical & Space Administration, and various other industry/academic partners.
Professor Panchang’s teaching interests include fluid mechanics, open channel hydraulics, wave mechanics, and numerical methods for coastal and ocean processes. He is the author of over 25 journal papers and several other conference papers and reports. He is the Editor of the Journal of Waterways, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, published by the American Society of Civil Engineers.
6/1980: Bachelor of Engineering (Civil), University of Poona, India. (6-year Engineering degree)
8/1981-6/82: Graduate Study (towards Master of Technology in Hydraulic Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay.
12/1982: M. S. Civil Engineering, University of Maine, Orono, USA.
12/1985: Ph.D. (Civil Engineering), University of Maine, Orono, USA.
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Am. Soc. Civil Engineering. (On Editorial Board since 1996).
“Fellow” of the Am Soc. Civ. Engrs , 2008.
Texas A&M University System’s “Regents Professor”, awarded in 2008.
“William Ricker Distinguished Faculty” Award, Texas A&M University at Galveston, 2010.
Am Soc. Civ. Engrs “Torrens Award” 2007 for meritorious service as an editor (out of ~30 editors).
Am Soc. Civ. Engrs “Moffatt & Nichol Award” 2008, for contributions to port and coastal engineering.
"Research Partner" Commendation, NOAA Office of Oceanic & Atmospheric Research, Sept 2001, for administrative & research work.
Guest Associate Editor, International Journal of Ecology & Development, Special Issue “Coastal Environment” 2007.
Univ. of Maine College of Engineering's "Outstanding Faculty Researcher" Award, 1992.
Indian Nat'l Conference on Harbor & Ocean Engg, Poona, 1994; 2nd Prize, Best Paper.
Publications and Grants/Contracts/Projects Obtained as Principal Investigator
- "A Method for the Investigation of Steady State Wave Spectra in Bays", Pearce, B. & V. G. Panchang, J. Waterway, Port, Coastal & Ocean Engg, ASCE, 1985, v111, No.4, 629-644.
- "The Response of a Linear Model of the Tropical Pacific to Surface Winds from the NCAR General Circulation Model", Graham, N. E., T. P. Barnett, V. G. Panchang, J. J. O'Brien, & R. M. Chervin. J.. Physical Oceanography, v19, pp 1222-1243, Sept 1989.
- "Hindcast Estimates of Extreme Wave Conditions in the Gulf of Maine", V.G. Panchang, B. R. Pearce & K. K. Puri. Applied Ocean Research, v12, No. 1, pp 43-49, Jan 1990.
- "On the Determination of Three-parameter Weibull MLE's", V.G. Panchang & R. C. Gupta. Communications in Statistics: Simulation and Computation, v18, No. 3, pp 1037-1057, 1989.
- "Solution to the Mild-Slope Wave Problem by Iteration", V. G. Panchang, W. Ge, B. Cushman-Roisin, & B. R. Pearce. Applied Ocean Research, v13, No. 4, pp 187-199, 1991.
- "Comparison of 2 and 3 Dimensional Model Simulation of the Effect of a Tidal Barrier on the Gulf of Maine Tides", P. C. Sucsy, B. R.Pearce, & V. G. Panchang. J Phys. Oceanography, 23, 6, 1231-1248, 1993.
- "Inverse Adjoint Estimation of Eddy Viscosity for Coastal Circulation Modelling", V. G. Panchang & J. Richardson. J. Hydraulic Engineering, v. 119, No. 4, pp506-524, 1993.
- "Effects of Complex Bathymetry and Wind Generation in a Coastal Wave Propagation Model", V. G. Panchang & Cynthia Bondzie, Coastal Engineering, v21, 333-366. 1993.
- "Outgoing Boundary Conditions for Elliptic Water Wave Models", B. Xu & V. G. Panchang. Proc, The Royal Society of London, Ser. A., v441, 575-588, 1993.
- "Exterior Reflections in Elliptic Harbor Wave Models", B. Xu, V. G. Panchang, & Z. Demirbilek. J. Waterway, Port, Coastal & Ocean Engg, ASCE. v122, 3, 118-126, 1996.
- "Wave Prediction Models for Coastal Engineering Applications", V. G. Panchang, B. Xu, & Z. Demirbilek. Developments in Offshore Engg, Ed. J. B. Herbich. Gulf Publish., Houston, pp 163-194. 1999.
- "Three-Dimensional Simulation of Scour-Inducing Flow At Bridge Piers", J. Richardson and V. G. Panchang. J. Hydraulic Engineering, v124, No. 5, 530-540, May 1998..
- "Estimation of Extreme Wave Heights Using GEOSAT Measurements", V. G. Panchang, L. Zhao, & Z. Demirbilek. Ocean Engg, v26, pp205-225, 1999.
- "Effects of Exterior Bathymetry in Elliptic Harbor Wave Models", V. G. Panchang, B. Xu, Z. Demirbilek, K. Schlenker, & M. Okihiro. Jnl. Waterway, Port, Coastal & Ocean Engineering, ASCE. v126, 2, pp71-78. 2000.
- "Application of a Comprehensive Modeling Strategy for the Management of Net-pen Aquaculture Waste Transport”, R. W. Dudley, V. G. Panchang, and C. R. Newell. Aquaculture, (187) 3-4, 2000. pp319-349.
- "Simulation of Breaking Effects in a Two-dimensional Harbor Wave Prediction Model”, L. Zhao, V. G. Panchang, W. Chen, Z. Demirbilek, & N. Chhabbra. Coastal Engrng, v42, no. 4, 2001, 359-373.
- "Simulation of Waves in Harbors Using Two-Dimensional Elliptic Equation Models”, V. G. Panchang & Z. Demirbilek. Advances in Coastal & Ocean Engg, vol 7. (World Scientific). v. 7., 125-162, 2001.
- "Simulation of Waves At Duck (North Carolina) Using Two Numerical Models." K Zubier, V. G. Panchang & Z. Demirbilek, Coastal Engineering Journal, Vol. 45, No. 3 (2003) 439-469.
- "On the modeling of wave-current interaction using the elliptic mild-slope wave equation." Wei Chen, Vijay Panchang, Zeki Demirbilek, Ocean Engineering, Vol. 32 No.17-18, 2005. pp2135-2164
- "Evaluation of an Approximate Method for Incorporating Floating Docks in two-dimensional Harbor Wave Prediction Models”, D. Li, V. G. Panchang, T. Zhaoxiang, Z. Demirbilek, and J. Ramsden. Canadian Jnl. of Civil Engg, 32, 1082-1092, 2005.
- "Large Waves in the Gulf of Mexico Caused by Hurricane Ivan”, V. G. Panchang and D. Li. Bulletin of the Am. Meteorological Soc. v87, 4, 481-489, Apr 2006.
- "One-Day Wave Forecasts Based on Artificial Neural Networks", Jnl. of Atmospheric & Oceanic Technology, Am Meteor. Soc., S. N. Londhe and Vijay Panchang, v23, 11, 1593-1603, 2006.
- "Correlation of Wave Data from Buoy Networks”. Estuarine, Coastal & Shelf Sci., 74, 481-492, 2007.
- "Wave Attenuation in Navigation Channels by Pocket Absorbers”, V. G. Panchang, J. Zhang, and Z. Demirbilek. Submitted to Jnl. Waterways, Port, Coastal & Ocean Engg. Aug 2006.
- "Wave Climatology in Coastal Maine for Aquaculture and Other Applications”, V. G. Panchang, C. Jeong, and D. Li, Estuaries & Coasts, 31, 289-299, 2008.
- "Evaluating the Forecast Skill of Two Coastal Wave Prediction Systems, D. Li and V. G. Panchang. Summer 2008, v10, S08, pp 6-23, Internat’l J. Ecology & Development (Spcl. Issue on Coastal Environments).
- "Reliability Assessment for a Wave Forecasting system for Prince William Sound, Alaska. J Waterways, Port, Coastal & Ocean Engg. To appear, Nov 22010.
- "The Dispersal Dynamics of Juvenile Plantigrade Mussels (Mytilus edulis L.) from Eelgrass (Zostera marina) Meadows in Maine, U.S.A.” C. R. Newell, F. Short, H.Hoven, L. Healey, V. G. Panchang, & G. Cheng, 2010. J. Experimental Marine & Ecology. To appear, 2010.
- "Extreme Wave Heights in the Gulf of Mexico: Impacts of Recent Hurricanes." To be submitted, Int’l J. Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering.
Grants/Contracts/Projects Obtained as Principal Investigator
- Wave prediction near Scripps canyon (Nearshore Canyon Experiment), Office of Naval Research, $18,000. 2/1/03-12/31/03.
- Wave Modeling in Nearshore Maine, Univ of New Hampshire Subcontract on NOAA project, $30,000, 10/03-10/05.
- Wave Forecasting System for Coastal Maine, NOAA Sea Grant, $95,000. 2004-2009.
- Groundwater-Coastal Waters Interaction, $48,000 Subcontract to Texas A&M University-Kingsville, on NOAA project. 2003-2006.
- Wave Forecasting System for Prince William Sound (Alaska), Prince William Sound Oil Spill Recovery Institute, $130,000. 2005-2010.
- Wave Forecasting System for Coastal Texas. $58,000. Texas Coastal Management Program, 2006-2007.
- Impacts of NASA Data and Models on Decision Support Tools in Alaska Coastal Waters. NASA (Subcontract to U. of Alaska) $30,000. 2006-2007.
- Waves in Puget Sound, Pacific Shellfish Institute, $20,000, 2006-2010. Subcontract on NOAA-NMAI project, “Alternative shellfish production methods: Environmental interactions and regulatory compliance”.
- Wave Conditions for Texas Coastal Transportation Infrastructure Projects, Texas Dept of Transportation, 235k (co-PI; Lead Dr. Jin), 2007-2009.
- Wind-Wave Forecasting System for Bristol Bay (Alaska). National Weather Service, $40,000, 2009-2010.
- Developement of an Integrated Wind-Wave-Current Forecasting system for Cook Inlet: Supplementing NCEP’s Forecasts. $375,000. NOAA. 2010-2013.