Fax: (409) 741 - 7153
Mr. L. R. “Rick” Fielder studied Mechanical Engineering at Texas A & M University and graduated with honors in 1975 with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Marine Engineering from Texas Maritime Academy. He holds a M. S. Degree in Petroleum Engineering (Production Option) from the University of Houston where he also studied Marine Structures and Dynamics. The subject of his 1982 Masters of Science paper was SPM Calm Buoys for loading hydrocarbons.
SPM CALM buoys experience includes many complete projects including Inspection / Survey, Purchase, Modification, Rebuild/Repair, Specification, Installation, Design and Evaluation.
For the past 30 years he has worked as an offshore oil and gas production facilities/process consulting engineer in New Orleans,Houston and many North Africa and West Africa countries.In addition to detail design, he has performed all phases and disciplines of offshore oil and gas facility project work from conceptual studies through start-up, trouble shooting and operations.This work includes project design management, construction management, load-out, transportation and installation.Additionally, he has handled many complete assignments including owner’s project engineer responsible for the conceptual study, specification, bidding, selection, conversion, installation and start-up of a 285,000 DWT VLCC for a permanently moored floating production, storage and offloading facility in West Africa.
Mr. Fielder has worked on and/or surveyed converted tanker projects which now actually serve as offshore floating production, testing, storage and offloading terminals including:
- Medex “FPSO DIDON”, Mediterranean Sea Tunisia(completed 12/97)
- FPSO “Agip Firenze” Re-activation and Function Test, Italy 1991
- Ashland “FPSO VI” Nigeria, West Africa, Project Engineer 1984-1986
- FPSO “Agip Firenze” Reactivation and FunctionTest, Italy 1991
- Amoco “FPSO II” Cadlao Project, Philippines
- Hudbay FSO “Riau” in Lalang Field, Malacca Straits, Indonesia
- Texaco FSO M. T. “Oloibiri” in Pennington Field, Nigeria, West Africa
- Amoco FSO “Bon Bateau” in Inguessi Field, Gabon, West Africa
- Occidental FSU “Covenus” at Shipyards in Spain and France
- OSE’s Amoco FPSO “Ocean Producer” for Amoco, Gabon, West Africa
- Amoco FPSO “Conkouati” in Yombo Field, Congo,West Africa
- Samedan/Shell FPSU “Tazerka” in Tunisia,North Africa
- Elf’s FSO “XV Domy” in Ododo Field, Nigeria, West Africa
- NNPC M. T. “Tuma”, Nigeria, West Africa
Mr. Fielder has also worked in various capacities on numerous floating production system studies and design reviews including:
- Basic engineering and project management for a 140,000 DWT FPSO and an FSO for a South American national oil company in 1991 and 1992.
- Basic engineering and project management for a 40,000 DWT early well test (EWT) tanker for a South American National oil company in 1992.
- Onsite evaluation of design and operation of offshore platform, gas plant, tanker loading terminal and operation on the Isla de Bioko in Equatorial Guineain 1992.
- Review and evaluation of the oil production equipment concept, design and fabrication contract for OSE’s FPSO “Ocean Producer” for Amoco Gabonin 1991.
- FPS semi-submersible concept and cost estimates for Apache International offshore Ivory Coast in 1991.
- Initial conceptual studies for Amoco Yombo FPSO for offshore Congo in 1988.Initial concept and feasibility study for Phillips/Pecten’s FPSO tanker conversion for Xijiang project in offshore China during 1988.
- Concept and cost study to convert the tanker “ESSO Portland” into a dynamic positioned FPSO for Exxon Production Research Company in Bass Straits, Australia during 1987.
- Preliminary design and cost of an FPSO for an independent operator in New Guinea in 1987.
Mr. Fielder was a member of the initial American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) Special Committee to develop offshore oil and gas production facilities rules for FPSO market. He attended several floating production system seminars including “The Way Forward in Floating Production” in London beginning in 1985, the Floating Production System” short course at the University of Texas in 1991 and also ASME Floating Production System short course in 1995.
Mr. Fielder is a member of the Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME) since 1975 and has been a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) since 1983. He co-authored a paper given at a SNAME meeting entitled “A Unique FPSO for Offshore Nigeria”.
Mr. Fielder completed a two year World Bank Project as the “Offshore Development Manager” to install and commission two offshore platforms, pipelines and subsea cables for a West African Government’s national oil company. He has done several other special projects in offshore West Africa over the past ten years including:
- Equatorial Guinea(CBM)
- New Zealand
Texas A & M University
B.S. Marine Engineering - 1975 (Cum Laude)
Mechanical Engineering – 1970 to 1975
University of Houston
M.S. Petroleum Engineering - 1983 (Production emphasis)
Also studied graduate marine vehicle dynamics, structures and ocean engineering.
Lecturer at Texas A & M at Galveston – Spring semesters of 2004 and 2005 for the Department of Marine Engineering Technology. Course: Floating Production Storage and Offloading.
Honors & Memberships
- Member of the initial American Bureau of Shipping Special Committee to Develop Rules and Regulations for Offshore Production Facilities
- Member of Society of Petroleum Engineers
- Member of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Pi Tau Signa National Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
- Co-authored SNAME paper “A Unique Floating Oil Production, Storage and Offloading System for Offshore Nigeria
Courses & Conferences
- Floating Production systems (University of Texas 1991)
- Subsea Well completion course (Houston SPE 1986)
- Floating Oil & Gas Production System conference (London 1985-1986)
- Several recent Floating Production Systems Seminars/Courses
P.D. Metering Systems, Facility Controls, Production Separation, Offshore Oil and Gas Production Facility Design, Relief and Safety Systems
Managing Director 1/89 to Present
Floating Production Systems, Inc. Houston, Texas
Project Manager 2/81 to 12/88
Omega Marine Services, Inc. Houston, Texas 9/78 to 12/88
Responsible for design, project construction/management and operation of offshore projects.
Responsibilities include: client liaison, field development plans, project cost and schedule control, direction of design and drafting and monitoring of overall project construction and commissioning. Representing projects as project manager included:
- Preliminary design and construction management of an 80,000 BOPD floating production facility and a 275,000 DWT storage vessel for Ashland Oil Nigeria
- Design and construction management of a 20,000 BOPD manned production facility for Ashland Oil Nigeria
- Design of a 7,500 BOPD manned production facility for Sohio Petroleum Company.
- 5,000 BBL concrete barge/production facility concept and design.
- Design and construction management of a 60 MMSCFD manned facility for Transco Exploration Co.
- Design and construction management of a 10 MMSCFD unmanned facility for Transco Exploration Co.
Senior Project Engineer 9/78 to 1/81
Responsible for the direct supervision of design and drafting of offshore facility projects. Duties included: development of concept, preparation of process and mechanical flow sheets, equipment selection and specification, bid and evaluation, approval of vendor drawings, monitoring of construction, hook-up and start-up supervision. Representative on major offshore projects as facility project engineer included:
- Design and construction management of two 4-pile production (12,000 BOPD and 24,000 BOPD) facilities for Ashland Oil Co.(Nigeria)
- 6-pile production facility designed for 50,000 BOPD for Ashland Oil Co.(Nigeria)
- Design of a 100 MMSCFD, 2,000 B/D condensate production module for Chevron USA, Inc.
- Design and construction management of a 40 MMSCFD, 2,000 B/D condensate production facilities for Kirby Exploration Co.
- Design and construction management of a 21 MMSCFD gas production facility for Allied Chemical Corporation.
- Design of a 12,000 BOPD and 15 MMSCFD production facility for Rutherford Oil Corporation.
- Design and installation of a gas booster compressor for Houston oil and Minerals.
Lead Process Engineer 1975 to 1978
Petro-Marine Engineering, Inc. New Orleans, La.
Responsible for design of offshore oil and gas production facilities, including preparation of process and mechanical flow sheets, systems design, equipment, instrument and material specifications, fabrication, offshore installation and start-up. Projects include many offshore oil and gas production facilities ranging up to 10,000 BOPD and 100 MMSCFD including an offshore 10,000-BPD pilot water flood facility.
Electrical Designer/Draftsman 1974 to 1975
Designers & Planners, Inc. Galveston, Texas
Administrated the power distribution, lighting, one line diagrams and electrical layout and hookup for converting Liberty cargo ships to 13,000 DWT Drilling ships for use in the ice filled waters of the Arctic.
West Memphis Towing, Inc. Memphis, Tennessee Summers
Assistant in charge of operation, maintenance and repair of all machinery including engines, pumps, air conditioning/ventilation, fuel, steering systems, deck machinery.