Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to attend Texas A&M University at Galveston?

The cost of attendance will depend on whether you are a Texas Resident, Non-Resident, or License Option student.  For additional information on the cost of attendance, visit the Cost of Attendance page.

How and when do I apply for Financial Aid?

You will first need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at ( Be sure to add Texas A&M University at Galveston's school code 003632 (when entering this number on your form, the school name that appears will be Texas A&M University in College Station, TX). We encourage students to submit the FAFSA to the federal processor as early as possible since Texas A&M University at Galveston awards financial aid on a first-come, first-served basis. It normally takes 2-4 weeks for the online application to be processed, and 4-8 weeks for the paper application to be processed. We strongly recommend students to utilize the online application. After we receive the electronic results from the federal processor, we will then send you a request for any additional documentation we may need. Typically, the FAFSA for the upcoming academic year is available in the January prior.  It is recommended that the Federal Income Tax forms for the previous year are completed before completing the FAFSA.  Our priority deadline is March 1st.  

For additional information on applying for financial aid at TAMUG, visit the "Apply for Aid" page.  To view video instructions on completing the FAFSA and TASFA, available in both English and Spanish, visit

Do I have to wait until I am admitted before I apply for financial aid?

Students do not have to be admitted to TAMUG in order to file the FAFSA. However, a financial aid offer will not be made until you have been fully admitted. 

How do I apply for financial aid for Summer classes?

Students who are enrolled at least half-time at Texas A&M University during the Summer term may qualify for financial aid for expenses in that term. The Summer semester is the last semester in Texas A&M University’s academic year. Any student who has completed a FAFSA for the current academic year and enrolls at least half-time for the Summer semester during the registration period will be reviewed for financial aid eligibility. Students will be notified of any financial aid offers via their University email account if you have elected to do business electronically. Anticipated outside scholarships for the Summer term should be reported on the Summer Supplement form in the Financial Aid Portal. This online form is typically made available in April.

If my parents are divorced or separated, whose financial data should be used when completing the FAFSA?

If your parents are divorced, use the natural parent with whom you lived the most in the past 12 months. If you lived with neither parent, or lived with each parent an equal number of days, use the parent that provided the most financial support to you over the past 12 months. If that parent has remarried, you must also include the stepparent's financial information on the application. If your parents are separated, and divorce proceedings are in progress, make an appointment to speak to a financial aid counselor.

My parents don't claim me on their tax return and don't give me any money. Can I file as "Independent"?

Your dependency status is determined by the information provided on the FAFSA.  Please click here to determine your dependency status.

Occasionally, unusual circumstances may exist that warrant a review of a student's dependency status. Please make an appointment to speak with a financial aid counselor for more information. You may also review information about the process to Request for Dependency Override.

I have already filed my FAFSA. Why haven't I received a financial aid award package from Texas A&M University at Galveston?

First, make sure that Texas A&M University is listed on your Student Aid Report (SAR). If TAMU is not listed on the SAR, call 1-800-4-FED-AID to ask the federal processor to add our school code 003632. You will need the DRN number located on the first page of the SAR in order to do the update by phone. If TAMU is listed on your SAR and you have been admitted to the University, make sure you have submitted all documents that have been requested by the Office of Financial Aid. If you are not sure if your file is complete, call 409-740-4500 or email us at to check on your status.

What if my parents or I will not be earning the income that we did in the previous year?

If any of the following circumstances apply to you/your family, make an appointment to meet with your financial aid counselor:

  • Death of parent or spouse

  • Divorce of parent or spouse

  • Loss of employment for parent or spouse

  • Loss of other income or benefits (such as Social Security or child support) by you or your parents.

How is my "financial need" determined?

The federal processor determines your individual family's ability to contribute to the cost of education ("Expected Family Contribution" or "EFC") using the information you provide on the FAFSA. After receiving your EFC amount from the federal processor, the Office of Student Financial Aid then subtracts your EFC from our calculated Cost of Attendance (COA). The COA includes estimates for the academic year for tuition/fees, books/supplies, housing, meals, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses.


How do I change the information I already submitted on my Student Data Form or Summer Supplement?

If you previously submitted your Student Data Form or Summer Supplement and need to make a change to that information, you must resubmit the form in its entirety.

If I am not eligible for need-based aid, is there anything else available?

Yes. Students with no established financial need are still eligible to apply for Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans and Federal Parent PLUS Loans.

I only want a loan. Do I have to file a FAFSA?

Yes. The FAFSA is the backbone of determining what type of loan you are eligible to apply for. However, there are outside "alternative" loans that do not require FAFSA information. All students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA so that we can determine what type of loan would be in your best interest.

How do I use my Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan (formerly Texas Tomorrow Fund) at Texas A&M University at Galveston?

Existing Texas Tomorrow Fund accounts are administered by the TAMUG Financial Management Services Office. For more information about this State of Texas Prepaid Higher Education Program, visit the Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan web site

How will my financial aid be affected if I take some of my classes at another school?

You cannot receive assistance from Texas A&M University at Galveston to attend another school. In addition, a student who is co-enrolled (taking classes at more than 1 school) cannot receive aid at both institutions.  The amount of financial assistance a student receives is determined by the college or university in which he or she is enrolled. Therefore, a student who changes schools must apply to the new school to have his or her eligibility for financial assistance determined. Lastly, a student cannot receive financial assistance in excess of their cost of attendance.

What is an overaward?

Federal regulations require colleges to consider all educational financial assistance to be calculated in determining students' eligibility. Financial assistance includes but is not limited to grants, loans, scholarships, waivers, fellowships/assistantships, work study, specific Veteran Educational benefits, and similar programs used to cover postsecondary educational expenses. When a student receives more aid than his/her financial need or our cost of attendance, the result may be an overaward.

Overawards must be resolved and may result in funds being returned to an aid program and a student owing the University money.

The Office of Financial Aid typically adjusts overawards for students who are over need and for those students who exceed their cost of attendance prior to aid being disbursed.

However, if a student receives additional resources after all awarded aid is disbursed, we will adjust aid as necessary in order for a student to remain best eligible for each aid program awarded.

If an overaward adjustment made by the Office of Financial Aid results in a student account balance of $500 or more, the Office of Financial Aid (in conjunction with Student Business Services) will place a hold on the student’s account that will prevent course registration and transcript release.  Upon receipt of payment in full, the aforementioned hold will expire.

How do I apply for a Parent PLUS Loan or a Graduate PLUS Loan?

The Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS) is available to the parents of dependent, undergraduate students. The parent may only borrow up to the Cost of Attendance (excluding any other financial aid). An origination fee of 2.5% is charged upon disbursement of the loan(s). All funds are received electronically and are posted to the student's billing account to pay university tuition and fees. Completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required.


  • The student must be attending at least half-time (6 hours). 

  • The parent must have a good credit history. 

  • The student must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  • The parent must not have defaulted on any previous student or parent loans.

  • A FAFSA must be completed.

  • Award eligibility varies based on enrollment.

Interest Rate

Direct PLUS loans have a fixed interest rate of 5.0%.


  • Enter repayment once loan is fully disbursed (paid out).

  • May contact servicer to request deferment while student is enrolled at least half time.

  • Standard repayment term is up to 10 years.

  • PLUS loans are the financial responsibility of the parents, not the student. Direct PLUS loans cannot be transferred to the student.

  • Visit for additional information.

Federal Direct PLUS are based on credit, therefore in order to apply:

  1. Log onto the website.

  2. Sign in using your social security number, first two letters of last name, date of birth, and FAFSA PIN.

  3. Click on "Request a Direct ."  Please ensure that you complete either the Parent PLUS loan or the Graduate PLUS loan, depending on which PLUS loan you would like to receive.

  4. In addition to the application you will need to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN).  To complete the MPN:

    1.  Click on "Complete Master Promissory Note". 

    2. Click on either Parent PLUS or Graduate PLUS, as appropriate.

    3. Complete sections 1-4 then submit.

  5. To complete Application, click "Request a Direct PLUS Loan".

How can I see my Loan Summary?

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education's (ED's) central database for student aid. NSLDS receives data from schools, guaranty agencies, the Direct Loan program, and other Department of ED programs. NSLDS Student Access provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans and grants so that recipients of Title IV Aid can access and inquire about their Title IV loans and/or grant data. 

Students can also view their loan history on their Howdy Portal. The purpose of the Student Loan Debt Summary is to assist students in making wise decisions on what to borrow in the future, it lists loan debt as well as estimated monthly payments.  The Student Loan Debt Summary lists individual student debt that Texas A&M is aware of and it also notes various repayment plans available and examples for each. Now students have access to their student loan data without having to log into NSLDS. The summary is in a printable format that can be accessed from the Resources tab (second link on My Financial Aid Portal).

to top