MISSION STATEMENTConsistent with the core values of Texas A&M University the mission of the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Services at Texas A&M at Galveston (TAMUG) is to provide programs and services that encourages members of our community to gain a deeper understanding, awareness, and appreciation for their own culture, as well as embracing the sacred dignity of all cultures from our global society.
The Office of Diversity and Multicultural Services is committed to creating an inclusive community of respect that positively encourages and attracts diverse populations to join and contribute to the university community as a student, faculty, and/or staff member.
VISION STATEMENTOur vision is to be a model of inclusion and cultural competency that empowers holistic student development, transformational learning through inter-cultural dialogue, and collaborative networks that advocates for social justice in a diverse university community.
We plan to fulfill our mission by offering programs and services that:
- Advocates and supports students and cultural groups in their identities.
- Collaborates with campus and community entities to ensure a positive university climate that advocates for justice, access, equity, and transformative learning for all students, with special focus on underserved students.
- Provides student support by building relationships of commitment and trust.
- Provides opportunities for students to develop as leaders by fostering a community of respect and building cross-cultural relationships.
- Provides mentoring programs for underserved students of color.
- Provides diversity education and programs that allow dialogue and intersecting discussions regarding age, citizenship, disability/ability, education, ethnicity, gender, gender identity/expression, geographical location, language, military experience, political views, race, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and/or thought to aid with developing students’ understanding of themselves and other cultures.
It is our mission to serve ALL students, but recognize the need to be especially attentive to the needs of those identifying themselves as African American/Black, Asian/Asian American, Hispanic/Latino(a), LGBT, Native American/American Indian, Multi-Racial, and/or Student Veterans.