PLEASE NOTE: This page is provided as a service, noting a variety of services and agencies available for aiding in a variety of situations. Listing does not indicate endorsement by TAMUG or the Office of Student Counseling. Any fees incurred by use of any of the services listed will be the responsibility of the person using those services. We strive to keep the list updated, so if you have more current or accurate information, please notify us at (409) 740-4736.
Private Psychotherapists, Counselors and Psychiatrists, for Children, Adults, Couples & Families
There are many private practitioners in the Galveston area. Look in the Yellow Pages under "counseling" for a directory of service provider listings. Most will accept insurance, and are on managed care panels. The UTMB Department of Psychiatry at (409) 772-0770 provides both private and sliding-scale services.
Sliding Fee Scale Mental Health Services
- Gulf Coast Center (MHMR): (409) 944-4337 or (409) 935-0506. Children & adults, take insurance information and any medications, and proof of residency.
- Gulf Coast Center substance abuse treatment: (409) 762-5935
- Family Service Association: (409) 762-8636. Offices in Galveston and Texas City. Children, families, couples & adults.
- UTMB Department of Psychiatry: (409) 772-0770. All ages.
- Depelchin Children's Center: League City (281) 282-6062. Children & families.
TAMUG Employee Assistance Program
EAP: (409) 740-4532, Confidential counseling is offered to all campus employees. Counseling and rehabilitation services are available for campus employees with alcohol or other drug problems through the EAP. Information is available to all employees in the Human Resources Office on campus. The services are contracted through UTMB.
- (888) 229-3784, A FREE service-Substance Abuse Screening
- Gulf Coast Center (MHMR): 123 Rosenberg, Shearn Moody Plaza, (409) 762-5935 or (409) 935-0505 - Texas City number. Provides substance abuse, recovery & HIV services.
- Bay Area Council on Drugs and Alcohol: (409) 763-6868 or (281) 280-0806 or (800) 510-3111.
- Bay Area Recovery Center: (281) 337-1343.
12-Step Meeting Information (days, times, locations)
- Alcoholic Anonymous: (800) 464-4687. Support groups for persons with alcohol problems. You can also visit the Online AA Resources Home Page at http://www.careflorida.com/treatment-programs/alcohol-treatment-programs.html
- Alanon: (800) 356-9996. For those dealing with addictions in a loved one. Visit the Al-Anon/Alateen Home Page at www.al-anon.org
- Naranon: (713) 661-4200. Support groups for persons with drug problems. See the Narcotics Anonymous Home Page at www.wsoinc.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous provides assistance for persons recovering from compulsive overeating, www.overeaters.org.
- Eating Disorders Group: Devereux Hospital in League City. Free. (281) 332-8608.
AIDS Counseling and Testing Sites
- Aids Coalition of Coastal Texas: 1419 23rd Street, Galveston, TX (409) 763-2437, FREE HIV tests are given Thursdays, 3p-5p. Confidentiality and anonymity is maintained. Provides services to people with AIDS.
- Planned Parenthood of Galveston: 3315 Gulf Freeway, Dickinson, (409) 945-5572. HIV tests $5, with results in two weeks.
- AIDS Alliance for the Bay Area: (281) 388-2339 or (800) 388-2339 or (800) 548-4659.
- AIDS Helpline: (800) 548-4659. Information for health professionals. Literature searches, educational resources, clinical consultations, etc. Sponsored by AIDS Regional Education and Training Centers.
- Confidential HIV Testing: (713) 488-4492.
- Galveston County Health District (4C's Clinic): 4700 Broadway, Galveston. (409) 765-2537.
Bereavement Support Group
Hospice of Galveston County (409) 938-0070, sponsors two regularly scheduled luncheon discussion groups, one the last Wednesday of each month at IHOP on the Seawall in Galveston, at 11:30 am, and the other on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at Denny's in the Nasa Bay Area at 11:30 am. Other bereavement groups meet at various times during the year; call for information and scheduling. Groups are free of charge and are open to anyone in the process of grieving who feels they can benefit from sharing with others who are going through similar feelings.
Abuse and Sexual Assault
Women's Resource and Crisis Center of Galveston County: Galveston/Bolivar (409)765-SAFE, mainland Galveston County (888) 919-SAFE. Administrative office, Galveston (409) 763-1441. A resource for individuals (women and men) who are seeking refuge from abusive relationships, or who have been the victim of abuse or violence. Temporary shelter available. 24-hour crisis hotline. WRCC welcomes donations of clothing and household good for their thrift stores, which help support their services. They welcome volunteer help as well, call (409)763-1441 for information, or check their website.
Sexual Assault: Victims 24-hour hotline (409) 765-7233. Provides advice, someone to accompany you to the hospital, support, the Women's Crisis Center.
Women's Information and Referral Exchange (WIRES)
Information about a variety of programs and services in the Houston-Galveston area. (713) 528-2121.
UTMB Family Medical Clinic at the University Hospital Clinic, located behind the Emergency Room. Hours are 9am to 4pm, Monday through Friday, except holidays. Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins accepted. Call (409) 772-2166.
Galveston County Health Clinic (4C's Clinic): 4700 Broadway, Galveston. Call (409) 765-2537 to make an appointment.
TAMUG Financial Aid: Always the first place to start. Visit their website or call (409) 740-4500 for information. Consumer Credit Counseling Service: Will help you with solutions to getting your finances back into shape. Call (800) 873-2227 or visit their website.
Other resources available in the community can be obtained in the Office of Student Counseling, (409) 740-4736, Building 3030, Suite104.