NROTC and SSO Application
NROTC ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- U.S. Citizen
- No less than 17 years old by September 1 of start of freshman year and no more than 23 years old by June 30 of that same year.
- Must not have reached 27th birthday by June 30 of the year during which graduation and commissioning are anticipated.
- Applicants with prior military service may be eligible for age adjustments for the amount of time equal to their prior service, on a month-by-month basis, for a maximum of 36 months if they will not reach their 30th birthday by June 30 of the year during which graduation and commissioning are anticipated.
- High school graduation or the equivalent certification is necessary by August 1 or the year of entrance into four-year NROTC scholarship program.
- No moral obligations or personal convictions that prevent conscientious bearing of arms and supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
Strategic Sealift Officer Application Requirements
- Participation in the SSO Program leads to a Commission in the United States Navy Reserve.
- Interested students must be accepted to a Texas Maritime Academy License Option Program.
- Return the SSO application along with a one-page essay of why you would like to join
By mail: Department of Naval Science, PO BOX 1675, Galveston, TX 77553 or
By E-mail: NROTC@tamug.edu
- This initial application does not guarantee acceptance; selection can be competitive. If initially selected, SSO applicants will be given instructions for completing a DoDMERB physical and must complete additional paperwork.
- Once physically qualified, applicants may be eligible for Student Incentive Pay providing $4000 per semester up to a maximum of $32000.
- Click Here for more information about the program.
NROTC or SSO PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Candidates must pass a stringent physical examination to qualify for the NROTC program.
- The physical and scholarship qualification processes are independent determinations. Applicants must have received a favorable endorsement in both areas before any NROTC scholarship can be granted. Many medical diagnoses are disqualifying.
- Some common conditions which are considered disqualifying are: vision not correctable to 20/20 (each eye), no color vision; history of asthma; acute or chronic cardiac/pulmonary conditions; chronic skin disorders such as cystic acne, psoriasis, atophic dermatitis or eczema; arthritis; seizure disorders, severe motion sickness susceptibility, alcohol or drug abuse; pregnancy.
NROTC APPLICATION AND MEDICAL HISTORY REQUIREMENTS:
The following documentation is required to be submitted along with the NROTC application and medical history:
- One-page essay stating why the student is interested in joining NROTC at TAMUG.
- High School Transcript
- Social Security Card *
- Birth Certificate *
*A photocopy or facsimile is acceptable provided the original or certified copy is available during check-in.
[Note: Please do not send your application material to the NROTC department, everything must be processed by TAMUG Enrollment Services]
An acceptance/declination letter will be sent once all documentation has been submitted. If accepted, a ‘Welcome Aboard’ package will be attached, it will include a list of required items and a summary of what to expect as a new NROTC Midshipman. Also, all new Midshipmen are required to attend the Corps of Cadets Orientation Week usually starting two Fridays prior to the first day of classes. Amplifying information will be included in the Welcome Aboard package.