Academic Advising Fellows
The Academic Advising Fellows Program is a partnership between the Office of Academic Enhancement (ACEN) and select Texas A&M University – Galveston (TAMUG) faculty and staff. The purpose of the program is to train and support faculty and staff who advise in academic departments. The Academic Advising Fellows Program is specifically focused on increasing the collaboration, education, and connection between faculty and staff, ACEN staff, and incoming TAMUG students.
Every year, TAMUG and the ACEN Academic Advising Team orient, advise, and register over 600 incoming TAMUG students. Academic Advising Fellows will assist in this effort and serve an essential advising role alongside ACEN Academic Advisors. Within this role, Fellows will be expected to support and advise incoming students at all New Student Conferences.
Participants in this program for Summer will commit to service from May-August, with additional service requested for the Spring New Student Conference in January. The Academic Advising Fellows Program will include:
- Participating in Academic Advising Fellows training;
- Preparing all incoming student records and registration suggestions;
- Being knowledgeable of the Texas Success Initiative, transfer credits, core curriculum, major curriculum, university student rules, university catalog, and graduation requirements;
- Providing advising at all New Student Conferences;
- Educating students on curriculum requirements, mentoring on the best course of academic action and course registration, as well as informing students on the roles and responsibilities of the advisor/advisee relationship;
- Approving first semester registration for all incoming students;
- Effectively navigating Howdy, Compass, AdvisorTrac, and University Adjustment System to access and manage student records, submit adjustments and curricular exceptions, as well as educate other faculty and staff to use in advising students;
- Serving as liaisons for their respective departments with ACEN regarding specific student and curriculum concerns.
- Must hold 9-12 month faculty or staff appointment at TAMUG or TAMU
- Must have strong desire to support students in the clarification of academic goals and their alignment with academic plans
- Staff may be appointed an Academic Advising Fellow if academic advising is above and beyond the role and scope of their current position. All hours beyond the normal 40 hour work week must be documented and kept.
Please check back mid Spring semester for the Academic Advising Fellows Application