Employee Assistance Program

Texas A&M University at Galveston contracts with the UTMB Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to provide assistance for employees and their families. The EAP provides professional, confidential counseling to assist with the resolution of problems that affect their personal lives or job performance. In addition to counseling, the EAP prepares and presents education and training workshops that assist employees in developing and updating their skills.

Who may use EAP?

There are two ways for employees to be referred to the EAP:

  • Self Referral

  • Any employee or immediate family member may contact the EAP to make an appointment to meet with a counselor to discuss a personal problem

  • Supervisor Referral

Supervisors may refer employees to the EAP when employees need to improve their work performance or when there has been a decline in work performance. When a supervisor refers an employee to the EAP attendance is strictly voluntary.

What about confidentiality?

All telephone calls and visits to the EAP are handled in strict confidence. EAP records are kept separately from personnel and medical records. If referred by a supervisor, the only information received by the supervisor is whether or not the employee kept the initial appointment with an EAP counselor. Additional information will not be provided unless the employee signs a written release of information that states what is to be told and to whom.

What does it cost?

There is no charge to employees and their family members for assessments and referrals made by an EAP counselor. If a referral is necessary for further assistance, the employee's insurance will be considered. When services are not covered by insurance, the counselor will make every effort to locate care within the financial means of the employee. The costs for services provided by other agencies and facilities are the responsibility of the employee and cannot be funded or subsidized by the EAP.

How does the EAP operate?

The EAP counselor will meet with the employee and of family member(s) to determine the nature of the problem. After the assessment is completed, the counselor and the individual(s) will develop a plan to resolve the problem. During each step, the individual(s) will be able to decide whether or not to follow the recommended plan of action.

When the nature of the problem has been determined and a plan agreed upon, a referral may be made to other community agencies and health care providers. Short term counseling is available through the EAP for problems that can be rapidly addressed.

How do I know if I need the services of the EAP?

  • Are You having relationship problems?

  • Do you or someone you know have a concern about alcohol or drug use?

  • Are you feeling overwhelmed?

  • Are you having difficulty sleeping?

  • If you answered yes to any one of these questions, there could be a problem.

How do I contact the EAP?

To make an appointment or to speak to a counselor, call the EAP office at (409) 772-2485. Normal office hours are 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Every effort is made to schedule appointments within 48 hours. In case of emergency, an EAP counselor can be contacted 24 hours a day by calling (409) 772-2485 or by contacting the university operator at (409) 772-4004.